The Local Offer provides information on the services available for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) aged between 0 to 25 and how to access them.
The Local Offer has been produced as a joint effort between Somerset County Council and Somerset Parent Carer Forum and young people's groups in schools and in colleges as well as though commissioned activity through Compass Disability.
The Local Offer includes information about the provision available in Somerset for children and young people with special educational needs, and those for whom the local authority is responsible, regardless of whether or not they have Education, Health and Care Plans.
The Local Offer covers:
- education, health and care provision for children and young people with SEN and/or disability;
- arrangements for identifying and assessing children and young people with SEN, including arrangements for requesting an EHC needs assessment;
- other education provision (outside of schools or colleges such as sports or arts provision) training provision, including apprenticeships;
- arrangements for travel to and from schools, post 16 institutions and early years providers;
- support to help children and young people in moving between phases of education and to prepare for adulthood;
- sources of information, advice and support in the area relating to SEN, parent carer forums, support groups, childcare and leisure activities;
- arrangements for making complaints, for the resolution of disagreements, mediation and parents' and young people's right to appeal